The Press, Canterbury 18
Papers Past (015)
The Press published its first weekly issue on 25 May 1861 – a six page paper every Saturday costing 6d – a decade after the Lyttelton Times made its appearance as Canterbury’s first newspaper. But it did have the distinction, in March 1863, of being the province’s first daily – 5,000 copies of the four-page paper were printed, selling for 3d a copy. Shortly afterwards, advertisements replaced articles on the front page.